Sunday, December 14, 2008

Do sapsuckers get bored?

I enjoy watching birds. I am thankful there are so many different varieties and so much interesting behavior exhibited by the different birds. As I look out my window now a yellow bellied sapsucker slowly works his way around a Bradford Pear tree, pecking away to his hearts content. What it is getting from the tree I don't know. Must be sap, since it doesn't appear to be pecking hard enough to dig out any insects now. While the chickadees and titmice and goldfinches flash from feeder to feeder and from branch to branch the sapsucker will hang around on the same tree trunk for hours and sometimes spend several minutes in the same spot on the trunk, with an occasional peck at the bark. Then he will move a little up or down or sideways and work on another bit of tree bark. Then after a period of time he might switch trees or scoot off to another tree outside my field of vision.

No comments: