Thursday, October 22, 2009

Does a leaf make noise when it falls in the forest?

I am thankful for autumn. Coolness without cold, for the most part. Occasional rain without flooding, usually. Clear skies with sparkling freshness, often. Here in Tennessee the weather changes frequently and is often unpredictable. Every year there is usually a lot of seasonal variety. This year October has had more cloudy wet days than is usual for this part of the US. October is the driest month on average and there are usually lots of sunny days. Last year I recorded a trace or more rain on six of October's thirty-one days. This year is unusual in that I have recorded a trace or more thirteen of the twenty-two days so far. Still, fall is one of my favorite times of the year. I don't like temperatures much over 70º F and I don't like temperatures much under 40º F, and usually October and early November has more days in that range than any other times of the year except for mid March through April. The earth is settling down for its winter rest in the northern hemisphere and I like the way the air feels on mornings when the temperatures are in the 40's and then I like the way the days warm up to the 60's. The leaves change into a beautiful palate of reds, yellows, oranges, and mauves (OK, maybe not mauve). There are usually enough junipers on the hillsides to infuse green into the pictures of autumn color. I am thankful that autumn is beautiful and peaceful.

No comments: